[vox] Updated system-info script

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 2 17:53:39 PST 2005

Some time back, I realized that the information in the kernel bug report
template was readily gathered from /proc files and utilities, and could
be written as a bash 'here document'.  That was the inspiration for my
system-info script, which pulls in wealth of system data.

It's useful for system recovery (need to rebuild that partition table),
support (run this, post the results, and let's see what we've got), and
just plain documenting things.

I've updated the script to include:

  - More information on IDE, CDROM, and SCSI devices.
  - hdparm settings and performance.
  - hwinfo output (requires the hwinfo package).

I've posted the utility to

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/LinuxSystemInfoScript.

...with sample output (superego is based on the current script).

If anyone has questions on use, experience on non-Debian systems, and/or
suggestions for other useful data to pull (audio and other peripherals
would be useful), please let me know.

Thanks.

Peace.

    The black hat community is drooling over the possibility of a secure
    execution environment that would allow applications to run in a
    secure area which cannot be attached to via debuggers.
    - Jason Spence, on Palladium aka NGCSB aka "Trusted Computing"