[vox] Sneaky Spyware

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Mon Dec 5 14:16:09 PST 2005

On my WinXP laptop, I have the following:

Spybot S&D
LavaSoft AdAware SE

I almost always browse the Web with Firefox 1.0.7 (1.5 now), except for the
very, very rare times when I come to a website that requires IE.  Even then,
I have IE (version 6) tightened up as much as I can, I run everything through
two up-to-date firewalls (my ZoneAlarm firewall, and my Linksys firewall).  I
never visit pornography, I never use any chat software other than GAIM, and I
never go to IRC chatrooms.  My installation of Thunderbird is very good at
eliminating spam and viruses.

Still, when I ran Spybot S&D the other day, it found that the Coulomb Dialer
malware had been installed on my computer somehow.  Mind you, I very rarely
actually boot into Windows on this machine; I almost always run Linux.

So, given all that...  How could the Coloumb Dialer have been installed on my
computer?  Thankfully, Spybot S&D tagged it and removed it, but I'm still
paranoid at this point as to how this might have happened.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com