[vox] Wildfire Idea to Help Katrina Victims

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Aug 31 22:11:46 PDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 04:53:33PM -0700, Steve Hargadon wrote:
> I can set up a website that gives instructions to turn an old P2
> computer, 128mb of ram, a nic card, and a working CD into a Firefox
> browser kiosk.  Only needs to have a network connection.  Runs like a
> champ.  No maintenance.  Nice and zippy.  No OS or licensing issues.

At the very least, I saw do the website, and see if you can poke the LUGs
(or other ORGs/NPOs in that area) to see if they have the time/energy to
actually gather the hardware and do it.

<snip>
> We could have instructions, downloadable files, and everything set up
> in less than a day.  Then we just have to get the word out.

Slashdot.org's pretty popular.  :^)  It's worthwhile, geeky and Linuxy,
so a short blurb about it has a good chance of being accepted.

Smaller sites to hit include DesktopLinux.com, OSDir.com, Linux Weekly News,
and probably some other non-Linux sites that I'm not familiar with.

Good luck!!!