[vox] Wildfire Idea to Help Katrina Victims

Ken Herron kherron+lugod at fmailbox.com
Wed Aug 31 17:27:43 PDT 2005

Steve Hargadon wrote:
> I can set up a website that gives instructions to turn an old P2
> computer, 128mb of ram, a nic card, and a working CD into a Firefox
> browser kiosk.  Only needs to have a network connection.  Runs like a
> champ.  No maintenance.  Nice and zippy.  No OS or licensing issues.
>
> We could help people set up hundreds / thousands of internet
> communication computers/centers where people are most likely to want
> access to the web and email.  Just need volunteers to set up the
> networking, and organizations that will host the connection sites.

Well, the Houston Astrodome is being turned into a refugee center. Right
now everyone from the Superdome (25,000 people) are being taken to
Houston, and the Astrodome's calendar has been cleared through the end
of the year. It would probably be a good focus for such an effort.

You might try to find some Houston-area LUGs interested in getting
involved. It seems to me though that information on how to set up a
kiosk is the least of what you'd need. The actual computers, willing
volunteers, access to the site (aka credibility with relief
organizations), and communications access to the Internet would all be
necessary.