[vox] [fwd] AstriCon - The 2005 Asterisk Conference [So. Cal; looking for speakers]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Aug 22 10:31:50 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from Lisa King -----

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:45:28 -0500
From: "Lisa King"
Subject: AstriCon - The 2005 Asterisk Conference

To: Bill Kendrick, Public Relations Officer, LUGOD
From: Lisa King, Event Coordinator, AstriCon
Re: AstriCon - The 2005 Asterisk Conference

Dear Bill,

My name is Lisa King and I am the event coordinator for AstriCon, a
conference dedicated to Asterisk, the open source phone system for Linux.
Asterisk is one of the fastest growing open source projects and is doing for
telephony what Apache did for web servers and MySQL did for databases.

I am writing you for two reasons.  First, I want to extend an invitation to
you and the other members of the Linux Users Group of Davis up to attend
AstriCon at a significant discount.  Second, I would like to offer to work
with you to find a speaker in the Davis area who could attend a meeting and
put on a presentation.

A bit of background on Asterisk (feel free to skip ahead if you're already
familiar):  Asterisk is a complete telephone system that runs on any Linux
computer.  Linux was created in 1999 by Mark Spencer (who also created Gaim
- the open-source instant messaging client) as a means of avoiding the
purchase of an expensive proprietary telephone system.  In the last six
years Asterisk has evolved from a very basic application designed to fit a
specific need into a flexible and powerful telephony engine.

Today Asterisk can be found in homes, schools, offices, and government
institutions around the globe.  Over 100,000 Asterisk installations are
handling millions of telephone calls each month.  Asterisk is saving
individuals and companies hundreds of thousands of dollars each month by
avoiding toll telephone calls.  Several communities in both the developing
and developed world have implemented Asterisk as a critical piece of their
communications infrastructure.

Asterisk is growing because of the work of many thousands of Linux
enthusiasts who have downloaded it, installed it, and discovered that it
works.  Asterisk has been used as a traditional PBX, as a replacement
voicemail system, as an interactive voice response (IVR) platform, and as a
component of the core of many VoIP service providers.

For more information on Asterisk, check out the Asterisk site at:
http://www.asterisk.org.

AstriCon is the only conference dedicated exclusively to Asterisk.
The event is composed of a day of tutorials, two days of conference
meetings, an exhibition and trade show, as well as several pre-conference
activities (an introductory seminar and a developer meeting).  AstriCon will
be held October 12, 13, and 14, 2005 at the Hyatt Regency Orange County in
Anaheim, California.

As one of our primary goals is the expansion of the Asterisk community, we
have decided to offer LUG members a discount of 20% off the published rates.
This offer is good through August 31, 2005.  To use the LUG discount, please
enter the following code during
registration:  LUG-LUG0D-2005.  Up to 50 people can register using this
discount code.  Please send back a quick acknowledgement to this letter and
we will activate the code.

Attached is a banner for AstriCon.  If you could, please place the banner on
your site with a link to either a page on your site announcing the discount
(and linking on to our site) or directly to the AstriCon 2005 page.  The
link is: http://www.astricon.net/2005/.

If you would be interested in having an Asterisk guru attend and speak at
one of your meetings, please let us know.  We have contacts throughout the
US who have experience installing and configuring Asterisk.

Sincerely,

Lisa King
Event Coordinator, AstriCon
<snip ph#>