[vox] Re: [OT] WinXP applications spamming me

Jeffrey J. Nonken jjn_lugod at nonken.net
Thu Aug 18 18:06:53 PDT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:22:13 -0700, lugod at jbbrown9.mailshell.com wrote:
> I hear you. I got the free firewall, anti spyware, antivirus, anti
> whatever trials with my new home PC. I didn't buy any of them, and
> they have now all expired. I get warnings and popups all the time
> now saying I have to buy the full version of whatever to protect me
> from some evil virus that's taking over the world. The other day,
> one even said I am infected witih something and they'll get it off
> if I buy the full version. I'm pretty sure it was an applet in a
> web page. If only I wasn't too lazy to go uninstall it all.

All these are free for downloading, though you may have to register Avast!:

Firewall: http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm
Spyware: http://www.safer-networking.org/ http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Unfortunately, news is that Symantec has bought Sygate. This naturally just thrills me to death.