[vox] Building a media center

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun Aug 7 08:51:04 PDT 2005

My wife and I have been pondering getting a Tivo, but haven't wanted to spent
the monthly fee, or arrange to put a phone jack in the wall near where the TV
lives, so we've been looking at Freevo (http://freevo.sourceforge.net).
We're considering getting a new computer, putting Linux into it, then using
either Freevo or MythTV (I haven't looked too closely at either, so I don't
know if they're the same kind of application).  We're also thinking about
putting all of our MP3's on this thing and using it as a stereo as well.

Has anyone done anything like this?  Is it advisable?  Any gotcha's I should
be careful of, software or hardware?  What distro would be best for this sort
of thing?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com