[vox] A philosophical question about partitioning

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu Apr 21 00:20:27 PDT 2005

Michael Wenk said:
> On Tuesday 19 April 2005 10:09, ME wrote:
> [deleted text]
>
> All I am going to say is that your reasoning is not quite good.  If you
> want to protect your file systems from being overfull by zealous users,
> quota the file system.

Yep. I mentioned use of quotas in the [deleted text.]

Multiple partitions with qutoas allows for even finer or more granular
controls of user use of disk space. If desired, it is possible to allow
users to have a quota for their home space, web space, and mail and have
each be separate or grouped as needed.

One thing nice about quotas is that they are entities that exist per
partition. Fewer partitions means less control (and of course less work.)

Running out of space on "/" is quite uncommon for me due to experience and
planning. Having only a few Gigs free on var is too little space for me,
if that /var does not have a separate paertition for /var/log. Having "/"
be limited to only root things makes "/" mostly a read-only filesystem (by
use, not by mount options) and as a result save that partition (most
critical in booting) from many risks associated with read-write filesystem
partitions (partitions where users are actively reading and writing
content.)

By having a clear separation between "system" space and "user" space it
make my job easier. I set minimum requirements for what the system space
should have, and then the customer can determine how much space they need.
However, at no point do they get to use "my" system space. If they run out
of space, they need to buy a new drive.

Reliability is good and I can estimate when a system should be replace
many years in advance. (Something managers really like to see when costing
projects.)

Sacrifice of my (admin) system space to the customer and system
reliability (risk for using up "/" for instance) is at risk, and with
that, my reputation.

Everyone is entitled to their own partitioning schemes. You appear to be a
lumper, and I appear to be a splitter. There are costs and benefits to
both.