[vox] A philosophical question about partitioning

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Mon Apr 18 12:17:37 PDT 2005

Someday, I keep telling myself, I'll be rebuilding my file/print/mail/web
server at home.  Right now the server holds about 10GB of MP3's (all of them
legally obtained; my wife and I just compulsively rip every CD we acquire).
Right now, all those music files are living in a directory called:

/home/music

At the time, it was the only thing I could think of.  That directory belongs
to a group called "crawford" so that both my wife and I, who belong to the
"crawford" group, can access it.

When I rebuild this server, I'm going to put all of the /home directories on a
separate partition.  I wonder if it makes sense to have all of the music
files on a separate partition of their own, and, if so, how should I mount
it?  Does /home/music make sense, or is there a better way to do it?
Strangely, none of my resources seem to address this question.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com