[vox] Improving home network security

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Apr 13 08:10:21 PDT 2005

I'm fairly satisfied with the security of my network setup at home, though
after getting the O'Reilly book _Linux Server Security_ I have ideas for
tightening it down even more.

What worries me the most, though, is my wireless network.  I've got a pretty
strong WEP key, of course, but I'm not satisfied with that, especially since
I've got a couple of Samba shares on my RH8 box.  Now, I'm told that I can
set things up so that my wife can access those shares via VPN on her Windows
XP computer (I can and do access them with sshfs or by sending the SMB
requests through an SSH tunnel).  Is this at all realistic?  Can it be done
with RH8?  Is there a free client for WinXP SP2 that I can install on my
wife's computer?  Am I living in a fool's paradise?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com