[vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Sep 25 12:56:58 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 12:04:10PM -0700, ME wrote:
> Pretty sad for a machine to get taken over even if you immediately visit
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com after your base install is completed.

Hell, I always feel uneasy every time I BOOT my XP box at work.
_After_ I enter my username and password, and _after_ it begins loading all
the crap on my desktop, it starts showing me McAfee security stuff loading
(firewall, virus-blocker).

I don't know anything about the underlying architecture of Windows, but
from a dumb-end-user point of view, I get the _impression_ that my computer
is unsafe until that little firewall icon pops up.  Heh. :)

*sigh*