[vox] DSL providers?

David Hummel dhml at comcast.net
Thu Sep 9 07:18:35 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 12:12:22AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Henry House wrote:
>
> > The current DSL (SBC) is quite terrible --- ssh sessions hang every
> > few minutes, making the DSL almost unusable for work.
>
> Why does ssh session end?  I got SBC and the connections are fine
> (here in LA.)  It might be an SSH daemon configuration, maybe, for
> security reasons?

Yes for so-called "security" reasons, it entirely possible that the SBC
routers are configured to drop ssh connections (or any other kind of
TCP/IP connection) after a period of inactivity.  Getting a "connection
reset by peer" message is a clue to this.  I know this is irritating,
the gateways/firewalls here at my workplace are setup to do this.

-David