[vox] DSL providers?

Jan W jcwynholds at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 15:41:31 PDT 2004

--- Zach Johnson <zjohnson at math.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> I presently use SBC.
>
> I get about 100KB/sec

I have SBC at home, as well.  Cheap, good, I have no complaints.  I was
with Omsoft, but when SBC was having their 29.95 deal, I hopped on the
bandwagon.  Omsoft was great, as well.  I don't really have much of a
problem dealing with SBC, though.  SBC's support for DSL has gotten a
lot better in the 3 or so years that I have been using it.  There was a
time when having Omsoft to talk to SBC was a good thing, it seems now
like SBC has *most* of the kinks worked out (at least, I never have any
of the problems that I did when DSL was first being offered in Davis,
these problems were: crappy rates, getting dropped, not getting signal,
etc.)

But one thing, if you talk to SBC support, just give them the idea that
you're using Mac or windows, if you say you use linux, you're on your
own;  Omsoft will help you out if you want to use linux on your DSL...
at least that was my experience...

The best way that I have found to talk to SBC support is to do exactly
what they say, without doing it, and just keep telling them what the
problem is.  It's your right to run any OS on your DSL line, however,
SBC can choose which OS they support, and if you say that you run
linux, the operators typically just hang up on you (after telling you
you need to install their software on a Mac/Windows machine, which is a
lie).

BTW:  don't buy the BS from SBC that "you need their software to use
the line".  The software was crap.  It crashed my machine.

--htho

jan

=====
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders
of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple
matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism,
and exposing the country to greater danger.
     --Hermann Goering