[vox] [vox-admmapsin@lists.lugod.org]

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Fri Sep 3 18:42:31 PDT 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Micah J. Cowan wrote:

> Ooh... not cool. It seems we need to take more drastic measures in
> spam-guarding our e-mail addresses: our addresses seem to be getting
> harvested. I just got a trojan mail that claimed to be from
> "vox-admmapsin". It didn't come from LUGOD servers (naturally), but
> somebody probably got my e-mail from the members list.
>
> This is, of course, just one of some fifty or so spams I get every day
> or two, but I just thought folks should be aware. I've been seeing
> this sort of thing more often lately: people finally getting wise to
> the simple spam guards.

Due to the setup of my domain hosting, I actually get everything directed
at shwaine.com and malevolence.com (my old address I used to use for vox),
not just specific email addresses (can't complain much though as the
hosting is free). I redirect anything with "maps" in it to a specific
folder. I just deleted it a bit ago, but since Aug 19th, I've received 201
messages that have the word "maps" in the address, 162 of those are for
the old malevolence.com address. Several of those are duplicates,
appearing to be emails where the spammer puts several addresses from the
same domain in the To and they got multiple variations of the maps insert.
To contrast, I've received 206 emails to various invalid usernames that do
not contain the word maps to the malevolence.com domain in the same time
frame. I haven't had enough such spam yet to the shwaine.com domain to set
up a filter for it, although it's getting there.

I can't remember when I put in the filters, but it was quite a while ago,
probably over a year ago. I know I haven't use the malevolence.com address
for well over a year for vox (not that it would stop the harvesters from
pulling it off the old archives now), so I probably put the filter in
before that. The spam gathering has been going on well before that, just
you wouldn't see it except for spoofed From lines like you had or if you
get everything directed at your registered domain, like I do.