[vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 1 00:11:58 PDT 2004

on Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 10:50:06AM -0700, Robert G. Scofield (rscofield at afes.com) wrote:
> Carl McCabe wrote:
>
> >Of course it would be even cooler if ResNet would get a bunch of
> >Linux/*BSD cds and help everybody install those, but that's another
> >story...
> >

> The U.C. Santa Cruz web sites I've seen mention that there are people
> there using Linux.  There's also the Slug Lug at U.C.S.C.  If I
> remember correctly, the Res Net people might even refer people to Slug
> Lug for help.  I've been bugging my son to contact Slug Lug, but he
> doesn't seem that interested.  I told him that he sould at least see
> if they have a demo day like LUGOD.  I told him it was a great
> opportunity for him to start using Linux because if he had any
> problems they could be solved by the Slug Lug people.  But given the
> nature of parent child relationships, I now see that I've made a
> mistake.  What I should have been doing is bugging him to get more
> involved in Windows.  That would have given him the chance to rebel by
> joining Slug Lug.

Heh.

Aaron Lehmann, Debian developer and all-around good kid, is active with
the on-campus LUG (IIRC, that's SlugLUG).  In his sophomore year.
There's also and off-campus group, I think.  Anyhow, SlugLUG's looking
for good folks.  Have your filial unit contact:

     aaronl at vitelus.com

(It's a sufficently well-publicized address, at 5700+ Google hits, I
don't mind publishing it).

I've heard a few ResNet horror stories through Aaron, though I think
part of it's him just not realizing how much of a PITA it is dealing
with a legacy MS Windows network.  Let alone one composed of 20k systems
you don't directly control, but have to provide services for.

Peace.

    Kerry / Edwards '04                              http://www.johnkerry.com/