[vox] [OT] Text, okay to quote. Lyrics? Pay up!

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Nov 26 14:27:09 PST 2004

D'oh! An egregious abuse of Fair Use

  "As you may know, in most contexts, it is perfectly legal to cite
  and/or quote another copyrighted work without financial consideration.

  "'I was not required to fork over a single dime to quote from /The Simpsons/
  itself, nor to quote at length from Tony Hendra's excellent book
  /Going Too Far/, nor to quote from Foucault or Mark Twain or David
  Foster Wallace.  But to use 87 words from the collected lyrics of
  Radiohead?  Three hundred and fifty simoleons.  Roughly $4.02 per
  word.  (Which, incidentally, is more than double the highest amount
  I've ever been /paid/ per word to write for a magazine or newspaper.)'

  "The mind blowing aspect of this is, of course, the music industry's
  hubris.  Why is it that I can quote hundreds and hundreds of words from
  academic authors who have the same copyright protections as the music
  industry, and yet I have to pay nothing?  Why does a few dozen words of
  lyrics require /payment/?"

Sheesh

-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                               Have I been helpful?