[vox] New laptop...one else

Ricardo Anguiano vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 May 2004 11:43:33 -0700

Marianne Waage <yamara@plush.org> writes:
> I've heard two other people who have had good experiences with the
> D600.  The case seemed a little weak from the few days it was in our
> office, but a few days isn't a good comparison to the people who
> actually use it every day :)

I've had a D600 since mid March and I am happy with it.  Network,
audio and video work out of the box with Debian testing and a
2.4.[25,26] kernel. USB works for all my devices (ps printer, dvd
burner, rio S30s) except the palm zire, which worked with a previous
kernel, and works fine with the 2.6.5 kernel-image.  It works nicely
with the docking station, and drives an fp2100 at 1600x1200.  I've
seen several write ups on the Internet, so documentation isn't bad.

I haven't gotten the built-in wireless working yet, mostly because I
haven't built a kernel with the ipw2100 drivers.  kernel-source-2.6.5
leaves out (the files are just not there) the tigon3 network driver
for no good reason, so you've got to build a custom kernel with
patches from kernel.org sources if you want networking and a 2.6
series kernel.  I haven't touched power management, pcmcia, irda or
the modem yet.

I haven't timed it, but battery life seems to be around 3-4 hours.
And it's plenty fast enough for me:

     [anguiano@tommy anguiano]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
     processor       : 0
     vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
     cpu family      : 6
     model           : 9
     model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
     stepping        : 5
     cpu MHz         : 1594.845
     cache size      : 1024 KB
     fdiv_bug        : no
     hlt_bug         : no
     f00f_bug        : no
     coma_bug        : no
     fpu             : yes
     fpu_exception   : yes
     cpuid level     : 2
     wp              : yes
     flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
     clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe tm2 est
     bogomips        : 3185.04

Minor annoyances: Opening or closing the lid disrupts the sound
system, and causes xmms to stop playing, halt doesn't actually power
down with the 2.4.26 kernel, and the system beep doesn't go through
the headphone jack like all other sounds.  This is what you get out of
the box with this laptop, and debian testing, but it can probably be
resolved with some configuration and tuning.

--
Ricardo Anguiano
http://www.codesourcery.com