[vox] Does this sound...totemo baka?

Edward Elliott vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 10 May 2004 14:31:27 -0800

Don, there is a sizable market for quality independent consultants

1) Focus - since you have other committments (e.g. school), take a look
at your skill set and pick out those items that are not mission critical,
where a client can schedule service time with you. That way, there will
be little to no disadvantage to being committed to a school schedule.
(PS If you're a good presenter, don't forget training as an income
source.)

2) Join a success group to help with your resume and marketing package,
I can recommend several excellent ones in the bay area.

3) Join the key online network groups and set up a web page so you have
the standard professional material.

4) If you know independent consultants you respect, offer to subcontract
as a way to learn the trade. Mentoring and apprenticeship are a valuable
learning path.

5) Study the market to see what groups are contracting and what services
they require. Education has tremendous needs, but very little money. So
I'd be cautious about looking to education as a strong revenue source.

6) Phone support - it may be possible to do part time technical help desk
work for one of the Open Source companies from your home office. I know
someone who does tech help for Dell from their home office in the Walnut
Creek area. Having Red Hat, or Suse, or IBM on your resume would be
attractive later on when you are pursuing clients as an independent.

Good luck, please feel free to call if you want to discuss
any of these ideas.

Ed Elliott
(707) 428-6620
Ed_Elliott@email.com