[vox] [fwd] SVLUG May 05: Chander Kant: Linux On Laptops - Adventures in mobile Linux computing

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 5 May 2004 11:01:46 -0700

SVLUG meets tonight!

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Ian Kluft -----

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 07:56:09 -0700
Subject: SVLUG May 05: Chander Kant: Linux On Laptops -
	Adventures in mobile Linux computing

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of the Silicon Valley Linux
Users Group!

WHAT:

  Linux On Laptops - Adventures in mobile Linux computing

WHEN:

  Wednesday, 05 May, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:

  Chander Kant, President, LinuxCertified

BACKGROUND:

  Over the past few years, Linux has become dominant server operating
system for various applications, such as file and web serving. While
Linux continues to make further in-roads at the high-end, the desktop
space is now beginning to emerge. Technologies and business dynamics
seem to be in place for an explosive growth of Linux on the
desktop. Another recent trend has been emergence of Laptops as the key
desktop platform. Year 2003 was the first year when new Laptops
outsold new PCs. So, will Linux leapfrog the PC and find its home
directly on the laptop? This presentation will discuss the current
state of support for Linux on the laptops. We will discuss the
challenges - what works, what can be made to work, and what does not
work. We will consider pros and cons of various technologies -
hardware, kernels, distributions etc., in making of a productive Linux
laptop.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

  Chander Kant is founder and president of LinuxCertified, Inc, a
leading provider of Linux laptops, training and services. Chander has
been involved with technology and business side of Linux in many
different projects. As a key member of the open-source community, he
is very enthusiastic about enabling Linux as a mainstream operating
system. Prior to founding LinuxCertified, Chander was Director of
Business Development at VERITAS software, where he was responsible for
high-availability clustering products. Chander was also involved in
architecting high-performance Linux compute servers at SGI. Chander is
a co-author of "Linux Compute Clusters", an on-going open-license
book.

WHERE:

Cisco Building 9 in Cisco's "Vineyards Conference Center".  This is at
Cisco Systems' East Tasman campus in North San Jose.

Usually we have only half of the conference center so you'll be directed
right or left once inside to the side where the meeting is.  Directions on
how to get there are listed at:

        http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml

We've tried our very best for these directions to be accurate.  If you
have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team know!
web-team@svlug.org

NOTES:

If you arrive with the peak of the crowd, there may be a small line
at the sign-in table.

After the speakers end their presentation there is usually a Q&A session,
time for job seekers and employers to meet, and often door prizes when
any are provided to SVLUG.  When the meeting is over people are encouraged
to chat a bit, but also to exit the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't
worry, a lot of us go to dinner afterward so there's plenty of time to chat
outdoors or offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!

If you just can't get enough, a smaller group usually goes to IHOP at
Great America Parkway and Mission College Blvd in Santa Clara after the
meeting.

----- End forwarded message -----

-bill!