[vox] Fw: TheOpenCD v1.4 RC1 available

Jimbo vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 1 May 2004 10:42:12 -0700

I  received this and thought I would pass this along before burning
commences.

Jimbo
----- Original Message -----
From: <henrik@theopencd.org>
To: <henrik@theopencd.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 6:30 AM
Subject: TheOpenCD v1.4 RC1 available

> The following is an email sent to you by an administrator of
"TheOpenCD.org". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments
you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the
following address:

> henrik@theopencd.org
>
> Include this full email (particularly the headers).
>
> Message sent to you follows:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Hello,
>
> You are getting this notice because you are registered at TheOpenCD Forum.
>
> Release Candidate 1 for v1.4 is now available for download and testing. We
have chosen to do another 1.x release because the programs on v1.2 were
getting rather out of date. Originally we were only going to update the
existing programs and change nothing else, and were going to call it v1.2.1.
However, we just couldn't resist adding a few programs that we feel
compliments the collection nicely, namely Neverball, PDFCreator, Miranda IM
and Tux Paint. Unless some major issues crop up, we expect to have 1.4 final
going up on the mirrors on Monday. So, if you plan on doing testing, please
do it soonish.
> For those who don't want to download the whole ISO but just want to have a
look at the new browser, we have an updated screenshots page at:
http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/screenshots.php The Programs themselves can be
seen at: http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/programs-v1.4/ . Another new feature to
note of our web-pages is the 'Community' section:
http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/community.php where we link to the project  FAQs
and support forums. This page is now linked in directly from the front page
of the installer, in the hope that users will stop by.

> So, what about v1.3/2.0? Has that been abandoned? you might ask. No it
hasn't. That is clearly the technology of the future for us, as it is easier
to maintain (once we get it up and running), and easier it internationalize.
As written above, we only intended to upgrade the apps for 1.2.1, which was
sorely needed, but ended up taking it further, so it became 1.4. We should
now turn our attention again to v2.0.

> To facilitate on-line collaboration with graphics and text for future
installer, we have set up an image repository and a text editing section in
the forum:
> http://www.theopencd.net/openclipart/index.php
> http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
>
> Download ISO here:

ftp://ftp.sunsite.dk/projects/TheOpenCD/pub/downloads/1.4/iso/TheOpenCD-v1.4-RC1.zip

ftp://ftp.sunsite.dk/projects/TheOpenCD/pub/downloads/1.4/iso/TheOpenCD-v1.4-RC1.zip.md5

> Please don't post these links on any public sites, as we are not up on
mirrors yet. We will be making a BitTorrent available of 1.4 final, and are
looking for volunteers to help seed it for a few days.