[vox] Hate typing?

vox@lists.lugod.org vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:00:51 -0800

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:00:15PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:13:31PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> > ViaVoice. I have a copy. Never got it working, though.
>
> OOC, what was the issue?  (Assuming you got THAT far :) )

IIRC, it was crap -- something like a hundred megs of bloated
X-windows-only Java bytecode that required a minimum of 256M of RAM and
an 800MHz P3 CPU to run at all.  Had they made a small, can-work-with-X-
but-also-dumps-data-out-to-stdout C program with more modest
requrements, it would have been more popular.