[vox] New, improved Tux Paint site!

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:14:45 -0800 (PST)

Here:

   http://www.grep.be/articles/php-accept.php

But I found some issues with this approach, especially in the United
States.  It works great if the visitor has the browser language set
correctly, but most people don't in the United States.  Why?  Because they
don't know about language settings on their browser.

Here's what I found out: Korean speakers using Korean Windows typically
uses Korean version of Internet Explorer, which has the Korean language
set as the browser's default language.  This works great.  HOWEVER, this
isn't an ideal world so the situation is a little different in the real
world.

This is the setup of a typical Korean speaker's computer in United States:
They use English version of Windows XP with English version of Internet
Explorer, and they use their control panel to set the default language of
Windows to be Korean.  But there's a catch - setting the default language
of Windows doesn't set the default language of the Internet Explorer (so
much for "tight integration"....)  And since most users don't know about
browser language settings, they don't change the browser's language
preference, so they get English page instead of Korean page from websites.

So in the end, this is what I end up doing:

  - Use the browser's language setting to display the text that
    asks the user to pick the language of their preference.

  - Keep the user's language preference in the cookie and
    use it for their next visit.

I haven't deployed the website that does this yet so I haven't gotten any
feedback on how good this approach is, but it seems to be most reasonable.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius