[vox] Interest in KDE talk?

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 23:13:59 -0800

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:52:18PM -0800, David Hummel wrote:
> I myself use GNOME and KDE (along with
> WindowMaker, fvwm, and sometimes even just twm), depending on my mood
> ;-).

Indeed, one of the nice things about a lot of this software, and which is
apparent when you go to install it under KDE, is that it really isn't
one gigantic monolithic chunk of code.

KWallet and KGet are a perfect example.  Mozilla seems to have feature like
these (password keeper and download manager, respectively) built-in.

The various KDE applications (Konqueror being the best example, since it's
comparable to Mozilla's browser component) don't /require/ these additional
components, and live fine without them.  (Robert's not using KWallet,
for example; probably not using KGet, either.)

In fact, when I set up my dad's computer, I copied a ton of website passwords
he had sitting on his Mac's notepad into KNotes.  When I sat down this past
weekend to introduce him to his new Linux+KDE system, I realize I forgot
to install KWallet, and did a quick 'apt-get install' while I was there.

As he goes back and visits these various sites (Amazon, travel sites, etc.),
he'll be able to simply let KWallet keep track of the passwords for him...

For the folks who DON'T want a feature like this, not only do they not
have to use it, they don't even have to INSTALL it.  Konqueror (and other
apps that take advantage of KWallet, like Kopete) will live happily without
it, and the hard disk and CPU will have that much less to worry about. :^)

-bill!
(who needs more RAM these days, since I've discovered and turned on so many
_MORE_ KDE components ;^)  I'm actually hitting swap now and then!  D'oh!)