[vox] Open Source and Security

Jonathan Stickel vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:53:28 -0800

Here is my (naive) view of software security:

1. old software is insecure because un-patched exploits have been
discovered long ago, but it is so old no one wants to fix it

2. recently released software is mostly secure because easy exploits are
found quickly and patches are available; less obvious exploits are not
yet known

3. bleeding edge, pre-released software is insecure because fixes for
easy exploits are not yet available.

This applies to both proprietary software (PS) and open-source software
(OSS).  Note that for both PS and OSS, it is the responsibility of the
end user to keep up-to-date on security vulnerabilities and make the
appropriate updates.  A decided advantage of OSS is that _anyone_,
including yourself, can fix security problems, even for case 1.  But
with PS, you are in the hands of the software vendor.  Also, OSS is
often more secure to start with because more people can look at the code
and anticipate problems.

It sounds like the person quoted here falls under case 1, where an old
version of a RH distro is being used that RH inc no longer supports.
He/she probably ought to switch linux distributions or purchase RHE.

Jonathan