[vox] Time for a refresher talk on PGP/GPG? :)

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 30 17:02:26 PDT 2004

On 2004.06.30 16:47, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:35:32PM -0700, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > P.S. I'll take encryption more seriously when you tell me where I can
>
> > find vox at lists.lugod.org's public key.
>
> Some of us have discussed how a list could work with GPG.
>
> Of course, GPG encrypting a public, archived, open list isn't exactly
> _useful_, you know.  Right? ;)

That's why I bothered to suggest it. (Although what I wanted to do was
send that message GPG-encrypted to the list so that *nobody* could read
it, and it would have a subject line that conveyed the entire point I
wanted to make.)

As for TLS, TLS protects email against being snooped by someone with a
packet sniffer. I think the odds of that kind of attack are *far* smaller
than the odds of my email getting read off the servers it's stored on, so
using TLS would either be very useless, or it would give people a false
sense of security.