[vox] Linux viruses?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Jun 14 11:53:45 PDT 2004

ME said:
> If there existed a multi-stage cross-platform, worm to trojan to virus
> which would target a Windows system initially and then trojan itself into
> a *NIX file (such as .profile, .bash_profile , .bashrc, .chshrc, and/or
> look for *nix executables within the *nix space on a windows/Linux system,
> and then wait for root to "su - INFECTED_USER" or root to execute a binary
> that was infected by the multistage piece of malware, then it is possible
> for the system to eventually get corrupted.

Additional comemnt:

Another method would be to have the final Linux exploit utilize a local
priv escalation, but then we are likely looking at something that is quite
distribution-specific, and has an even smaller scope for possible
infection.

(There are other methods to assist such a multi-stage worm/trojan/virus to
spread. I wanted to include this as another example and state the examples
I provided should in no way be considered the only ways, but only
illustrate the possibility and eventually show how small the set of
targets may actually be.)

Sorry for not includeing this in the original message,
-ME