[vox] Television Interview

John Marcotte john at biznerds.com
Fri Jul 23 01:06:08 PDT 2004

I Tivo'ed the interview, but lack the capacity to capture it onto a PC.

I would gladly host the interview on Biznerds if some guy with a better
laptop than I would convert it to mpeg. Any takers?

I also showed them FireFox. I didn't look close enough at the screen in the
story. I just assumed that was my download/demo of FireFox.

This latest virus has caused me to recommend switching over to all my
clients using IE (pretty much all of them). I was waiting for the 1.0
release of FireFox before I did this. I can't wait anymore.

I gave them Bill's number because he's the only person I know well from
LUGOD. I was glad he was able to find someone local for them to talk to.

John Marcotte
Biznerds Consulting Group
john at biznerds.com

http://www.biznerds.com/

> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:24:28 -0700
> From: Shu Chow <schow at macnexus.org>
> Subject: Re: [Lug-nuts] ISO someone for TV interview
> To: General SacLUG discussion <lug-nuts at saclug.org>
>
> On 7/22/04 12:39 AM, "Bill Kendrick" <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:
>

> > So...  did anyone see/record Shu on TV
> > today?  (I assume it was on today :) )
>

> I believe it was on the 5:00 pm news.  There's a companion
> blurb piece on it at the site.
>
> http://www.thekcrachannel.com/station/3561409/detail.html
>
> Debriefing notes:
>
> 1) Interview was done at the SPCA.  My work office is a mess,
> and they probably wouldn't have given me permission to use it
> since I was going to bash the official standard browser of
> the company.  Home office was also a mess
>
> 1) Per the Mozilla Foundation, I pitched only Firefox and
> only mentioned Mozilla in the context of the Mozilla Foundation.
>
> 2) She did not ask me any details as to why Firefox was more
> secure. It was just sufficient for me to say that it had a
> better security model and implementation practices.
>
> 3) She was more interested in Firefox's features. We talked
> about popup blocking, tabbed browsing, and the Google search bar.
>
> 4) I walked through the Firefox download process. They filmed
> me typing in http://www.mozilla.org/firefox, scrolled up and
> down the screen a bit, and clicking the Download Now button.
> However, the FTP server timed out! I cancelled it and tried
> again, but it timed out again.
>
> 5) Luckily I had my laptop with me and I showed them Firefox.
> Unluckily, it's an iBook. Astute viewers may find it weird
> that we're discussing Windows vulnerabilities and using Mac
> OS X to demonstrate it.
>
> 6) Discussed the CERT Advisory. I made it a point to never
> refer to them as CERT, but as the Dept. of Homeland Security.
>  Nobody knows who CERT is, but everyone knows DoHS.  Viewers
> may get the idea that using IE helps terrorists. That's good.
> If you use IE, you *must* be a friend of Osama.
>
> 7) At the beginning of the interview, they tried to get a
> site up on the screen behind me. Mozilla.org and saclug.org's
> sites had too much white. Debian worked, though.
>
> 8) She asked if I thought these vulnerabilities would be make
> a dent in IE usage.  I said something to the effect of, "Of
> course, and we know this because the Mozilla Foundation has
> seen Firefox downloads double since these holes were
> discovered."  I never mentioned concrete numbers.

> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
> bill at newbreedsoftware.com            "Avoid missing ball for
> high score"

> [...]