[vox] LUGOD member needed for TV interview

Ken Herron Kherron+lugod at fmailbox.com
Tue Jul 20 10:08:42 PDT 2004

--On Tuesday, July 20, 2004 09:52:35 -0700 Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 06:48:17AM -0700, donw at examen.com wrote:
>> Screw that, I'm an expert! ;)  I can tell my tale of destroying a
>> two-day build with an errant 'cp'...
>
> Heh, first thing I do when I get a new shell account is alias 'cp', 'mv'
> and 'rm' to 'cp -i', 'mv -i' and 'rm -i', respectively. :^)

Heh, the first thing I do when I log into a box with those aliases set is
to curse the person who thought they were a good idea. Those aliases are
dangerous. You get used to typing unnecessarily broad wildcards, then one
day you log in somewhere where the aliases aren't in place and blow away
half a filesystem.

If someone really thinks they need aliases like these, they should at
least use different names for the commands, like "copy", "move", and
"remove".

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron     Kenneth.Herron at mci.com     v658-5894     916-569-5894