[vox] installfest July 17?

Dave Margolis margolid at ecs.csus.edu
Sat Jul 10 22:23:40 PDT 2004

Rob Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:12:56PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
>>
>>By the way, I have never met an external modem that is not Linux-compatible.
>>AFAIK, all external modems (RS-232 serial or USB) are controller-based and
>>therefore should work just fine without any special drivers. For internal
>>modems, a good resource is <http://linmodems.org/>.
>

> I've never met an RS-232 modem that was not Linux-compatible, but many
> USB modems are Win-modems.

If you have an ISA slot (many motherboards don't these days, but I suspect
the old NEC in question does), this guy is a no brainer:
http://www.bestdata.com/product.asp?pid=49&catID=4
This modem is available at Fry's and Office Max (and probably other places
too).  The box actually says "Linux" (which is nice) and the reason is the
jumpers.  You get one jumper for IRQ and one for COM, so you can set it to
whatever you have available.  Setting either to something nonstandard will
have you learning all about the "setserial" command, but if you choose one
of the four "default" com/irq combos for serial ports, you'll be a-ok (no
driver, no headache).

I also have a sub-$20 PCI modem that came from Fry's.  It was an el-cheapo
brand that I was able to determine was an LT Winmodem.  The ltmodem driver
worked without any fuss with that guy.