[vox] ISO: Another PII/PII... This time, for my dad :^)

dylan vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:54:31 -0800

what model powermac is it?
it is quite possible to run linux on powermacs as well.

a great way to get a speed boost on an older powermac is to give it a new
PCI video card (very cheap), some more ram (128mb for $25), and a faster
hard drive. then - install your favorite flavor of linux (debian for me) and
it should work quite well. the built-in powermac hardware is well supported
under linux, and if you can get a pci video card that is known to work with
linux then X will be even better.

and- you can MOL (http://www.maconlinux.org/) - so that he could still use
any old mac-specific apps (like the spanish software) from inside of linux.

however, i would only suggest this if the machine is a 604 or greater proc.
while it is possible to run linux on slower machines (my email, web, file
server is run on an 80mhz powermac 7100) you are limited with the amount of
memory that you can fit into them... furthermore, a PCI-based mac is a
little easier to get linux running on.

--dylan