[vox] A hypothetical question about the Web's dark underbelly

Micah J. Cowan vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 01:04:08 -0800

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 02:52:28AM +0000, Rob Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 16:08:14PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> >
> > Routers don't store web pages. Proxies do, but you'll never find
> > whether there's a proxy using tracert. Have the user check his web
> > browser configuration and see whether there's a proxy configured, if
> > that's the route you plan to explore.
>
> And many (most?) proxies seem to be transparent now. Checking the
> browser config won't find those.

However, none should be unannounced. Using a transparent proxy without
saying so would be rude in the extreme (though not terribly
surprising): when I connect to a host, and it answers, I do expect to
be talking to the server I addressed. There are all sorts of things
wrong with getting a cached page back from an intermediate host rather
than a direct reply.

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name