[vox] KDE's Future?

Robert G. Scofield vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:02:44 -0800

On Monday 12 January 2004 22:44, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> I realize this is kind of what you're asking already, but I guess I'm
> adding my own question to it...

I have something to add also.  I have this strange and unpleasant feeling.
It's a form of fear, though I guess I have myself to blame to a degree.

As a computer incompetent, who for example probably couldn't install Debian
and then compile KDE; that is, as someone who uses Linux like the majority
use Windows, I feel like my freedom of choice might be affected by what the
big boys are doing.  IBM and Novell (and I guess Sun) are making these big
moves.  I suppose IBM at least is trying to counter Microsoft, and that's
good.  But when the companies that started giving Linux to the masses (Red
Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, etc.) start getting bought out as the big boys make
their moves, it seems like something's gone wrong.  I might again be
dependent on what these companies decide to do.  Linux might not end up being
so revolutionary.

Now if someone wants to go ahead and bash this message, go ahead.  It will
make me feel better.

Bob