[vox] KDE's Future?

Robert G. Scofield vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:47:17 -0800

Forgive me if this has already been discussed.  I'm usually the last one to
learn about such things.

I've just learned that Novell bought SuSE.  I've recently switched to SuSE.  I
did so for a couple of reasons, but part of the decision had to do with using
a distro committed to KDE.  And I was told that there are developers who work
on both SuSE and KDE.

But I've just learned that before buying SuSE, Novell bought Ximian.  The SuSE
website has a piece on all this.  It says good things about both KDE and
GNOME, but also says that Novell/SuSE will be evaluating the issue of desktop
GUI's in the coming months.

Does anyone feel that SuSE will tend more toward GNOME, and if so that this
will be a problem for KDE's viability?

Bob