[vox] On cheap MS licensing for schools

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:29:59 -0800

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 04:27:04PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> At last week's meeting, someone mentioned they were speaking to head of
> a large school district who was interested in Open Source, but didn't
> see the point, since they get MS software for extremely cheap
> (I think I heard $27/seat for the OS?)

Here's another response, this time from David Trask, who's tech coordinator
at the Vassalboro Community School (famous for its adoption of Linux :^) )

----- Begin forward -----

And in addition to Chris's comments....once they get you hooked with the
freebies....(ie: Gates Foundation stuff....) then you are committed to
upgrade *hell*....what happens when the $$$ stops flowing?  If M$ was
truly "giving" in this manner why wouldn't they save us all the paperwork
and simply "give" it to the schools?  Why the charade?  I've recieved
Gates Foundation Grants in the past...we didn't buy M$ products....we
bought Palm handhelds!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School