[vox] XP, VMWare and Redhat

Z Kofler vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:06:26 -0800

>- --- De-HTMLed message ----
>On Wednesday 31 December 2003 07:00 am, Z Kofler zkofler-at-hotmail.com
>|lugod| wrote:
> > This is just a note for anyone that would like to run Windows XP as a
> > native OS and Linux as a virtual OS at the same time on the same PC.
>

> > I have installed VMWare and Redhat Linux in VMWare's virtual environment
>on
> > my XP Dell Latitude D800 wide screen (15.4 inches - 1920 x 1200 pixels)
>Lap
> > Top.  Everythings working great -- X windows, networking, etc.  My only
> > complain is that the virtual window provided by VMWare that properly
>fits
> > the laptop is only 11 7/8 inches wide.  A pretty small window to see
>well
> > w/ eyes over 40.  I'm running both RH Enterprise 3.0 and RH-8, although
>I'm
> > planning to replace RH-8 w/ RH-7.3 (so that I have both the old and the
>new
> > gnu tools and libraries).

>You say the virtual windows doesn't fill your screen... Is that at a
>console, or running X? If it's running X, then try changing resolutions.
>Are you going full screen with VMWare, or running it in a window? If
>you're going full screen, you should be able to set the guest resolution
>to 1920x1200 and it will fill your screen the same as your host OS. If
>you're in a window, try setting it to one setting below that
>(1600x1200?) and it will fill up most of your screen.... You did install
>the VMware tools in the guest OS right?

You are RIGHT!  I tried this before but because of the wide-screen format
1920 x1200 only mode warning, I left it in 1280 x 1024 mode.  I just ran
configuration for both RH-7.3 and WS 3.0 and am running full screen (all
15.4 inches) at 1600 x 1200.  The fonts seem to be rendered just fine
inspite of the warning message regarding a non-optimized screen usage mode.
  Thanks, this will REALLY help.

> > For those who want to try this, here are some tips: 1. Go w/ a supported
> > Linux OS by VMWare (I tried RH Enterprise 2.1 and never could get X
>windows
> > to work).  2. It requires a lot of memory; i.e., 512 MB (you're dividing
>up
> > RAM between XP and Linux). 3. A 'large' high resolution monitor, so the
> > virtual window is a decent size.

>There's a reason they support specific versions of both guest and host
>OS. You may get others to work, but it's often not worth the effort.
>Also, depending on what you're doing, you don't necessarily need a lot
>of memory. I started using VMWare around 1.0 (I bought VMWare for Linux
>the first month it was out, and shortly thereafter was a beta-tester for
>VMWare for WindowsNT shortly before it's 1.0 release) This was running
>on both a laptop with 160MB and a desktop with 64MB. The only issue is
>you have to dedicate a certain portion of RAM to the guest OS. If you're
>not using a ton of memory in either your guest or host, you can get away
>with giving your guest only 32 or 64MB...especially if your guest is
>Linux, and you aren't doing anything too intensive with it. I haven't
>actually run WindowsXP, so I have no idea how much memory it requires,
>but back running VMWare on a 400MHz with 64MB split evenly between the
>host and guest I never had a problem.

Yes, supported versions are the WAY to go.  I never could get Redhat
Enterprise WS 2.1 to work with X, however, even though WS 3.0 is
unsupported, I did get it to work.  I had to play w/ the networking
configuration files but that was the only headache.  I documented my fixes
and sent it to VMWare Technical support so they're aware of the 'hoops' one
has to jump through to get WS 3.0 to work.

John Kofler

Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup