[vox] Self-replying [Was "XFree86 Core Team Disbands" (?)]

Jeff Newmiller vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 00:51:42 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Tim Riley wrote:

> ME wrote:
>
> > Look! My (lack of) nettiquette is showing:
> > (replying to myself)
>
> Why is adding an additional thought after pressing the <send>
> button bad nettiquette?

I can think of two reasons off the top of my head:

a) pushing the send button too quick is something to be frowned upon... it
suggests that you do not respect your readers' time spent interpreting
your thoughts.  Specifically, having to thread two messages together to
identify a complete thought may not always be possible, since related
messages may not always be presented together.

b) if your audience is so uninterested in your topic that there is no one
else to reply to after your message, then perhaps you shouldn't be talking
to yourself on that topic in that forum.

I don't think either of these sufficient justification to condemn someone
for replying to themselves once in awhile, but I do think they at least
suggest that doing so should be a rare event.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing