[vox] webhosting/shell recomendations?

ME vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 00:52:20 -0800 (PST)

Rob Rogers said:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 17:56:26PM -0800, ME wrote:
>> There are a variety of different colocation services available with
>> various offers ranging from simple web-hosting through to true
>> colocation.
>>
>> I bought a Dell PowerEdge 1U unit and do my colocation business with
>> http://www.johncompanies.com/ . I know they do not have the most
>
> I knew I was forgetting to mention something... I'm looking for a
> semi-low end virtual hosting service for now. I expect to be looking for
> some sort of co-lo within a year or so, but like I said, 90% of my
> traffic right now is email. I've been on a $10-15 virtual hosting plan
> for the past few years, and have never gone near my bandwidth limits.
>
> That said, features and reliability is more important than price to me,
> within reason. I'm sure I can find what I'm looking for in the $20-25
> price range at the most. I've just had too much bad luck with hosts
> lately, and I would rather get a recomendation of a reliable company.
>
> Oh, and has anyone use any of the VDS (virtual dedicated servers)? It
> looks really cool. You get a virtual server via UML (user mode linux)
> with full control, including root access, but you're still on a shared
> server. Most of the benifits of a co-lo, but without the completely
> dedicated server, and a good bit cheaper.

Did you read the e-mail and examine the URL included at the bottom? I am
including them here again:

http://mike.passwall.com/colocation.html

For more up-to-date data, try checking out these two as they will likely
be more current:
http://www.hostchart.com/
http://www.webhosters.com/

A quick visit to http://www.hostchart.com/ selecting the checkbox for UNIX
and then pressing search provided a number of virtual hosting solutions
with ssh/telnet access and other things too.

These last two links are very useful for comparitive shopping on price and
features. Once you have a few selected, doing searches on google for the
name of the provider and complaints or praise with google can give you
some idea.

At the very least, you can get an idea what you dollar can buy you.

-ME