[vox] webhosting/shell recomendations?

Rob Rogers vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 00:22:14 +0000

[sorry if this messages gets sent twice. the first one is "awaiting
moderator approval" because I accidentally sent it from the wrong
address]

I'm looking to switch hosting providers, and was hoping someone could
give me some suggestions of companies they've used and liked. I'm not
currently doing that much with my hosting... 90% of my bandwidth is used
for email, but I have started playing around with the Drupal CMS, and
will probably be using it a lot more soon. My main requirement though is
something with a full working shell.

My current host looked good, and had just about everything I need,
except they are using a feature of cpanel called jailshell... As you
might guess, it's a chroot jail, but it's got some serious bugs. If I
log in more than once (including using scp while I'm logged in)
everything starts to go screwy. I might start up mutt, and have no color
support, or try and quit mutt, and get a "cannot open temporary file"
error,  or try to run ps and get error messges about /proc not being
mounted... Needless to say, this is quite frustrating.