[vox] frustration with X

Jonathan Stickel vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:04:31 -0800

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> * just want to confirm:
>
>    is DRI broken for other debian unstable users?  out of the blue my
>    opengl stuff broke after an apt-get upgrade.
>
>    if there's anyone else using sid, can you run glxgears and tell me if
>    you have dlopen() errors?
>
> * anyone hear any scuttlebutt about what's going to happen with X 4.4?
>   i assume the fact that i haven't heard much in the past few days means
>   bad news...  this is making me anxious.  all the xfree86 forks i've
>   ever heard of in the past few years seem to be stalled.

I read all I wanted to and more on this discussion thread, which is
still active:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=137607&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
  I don't think anything new is said here, just rehash of the licensing
issue.

I'm anxious too.  I've recently learned that my laptop graphics card (S3
TwisterK) had partial dri support in xfree-4.2, none in xfree-4.3
(currently installed), but will have full dri support in xfree-4.4.  I
tried to downgrade to 4.2, but was unsuccessful.  So I wait for xfree-4.4...

Jonathan