[vox] Syncing Palm Pilot

Jonathan Stickel vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:54:11 -0800

I'm no expert, but I've struggled a little myself getting my Handspring
to sync.  It sure looks like all your kernel modules are loading
properly, the important ones being usbserial and visor.

Have you checked to see if a "usb-serial" device "magically" appears in
/dev when you push the cradle button?  It will be something like
/dev/usb/tts/1 or /dev/usbts1.  This is what you tell your palm software
to use (perhaps through a /dev/pilot symlink).

FWIW:  I had a 2.4 kernel where my Handspring would randomly sync only
50% of time, and I could never figure out why.  All my kernal modules
loaded, the usbserial device appeared, I had OK log messages, but no
sync.  Since I've compiled a 2.6 kernel, it syncs everytime!

Jonathan