[vox] Throttling router?

Ken Bloom vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:23:12 -0800

The ICMP message is sent back to the sending host. The immediately upstream router doesn't see it (it just passes it on), and it's the sending host's responsibility to back off.

How do you implement this? The bandwidth shaping features of the kernel that you use to separate the traffic should send this automatically when you set a bandwidth limit.

You should also be able to make an application generate this messsage (although don't know what the APIs are). The result when you made an application do this would be to set a download speed limit like the GetRight download manager for Windows supports!