[vox] Throttling router?

Ken Bloom vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:40:38 -0800

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

It's certainly possible to throttle incoming bandwidth, by sending an
ICMP Source Quench error when a connection is sending data too fast.
Although the remote host is free to ignore this error message, my
networking textbook (Stevens - TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1) tells me
that BSD ignores it for UDP but pays attention and slows down for TCP.
I'm not sure what other operating systems do.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:45:01PM +0000, Michael Long wrote:
>=20
> Keep in mind that all these solutions will only throttle bw upstream to
> your provider. There is no way to throttle bw coming from your provide
> because that would require putting acl's (or equiv) on the provider
> router. So unless you're streaming bw out these "fixes" won't help to
> much.=20
>=20

--=20
My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about=20

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf--