[vox] [OT] [very off-topic] question for any microbiologists or plant pathologists on the list

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Mon Aug 23 10:18:55 PDT 2004

Are there any microbiologists or plant pathologists on this list? If you are
one, please read on.

I have some pear trees that have been stricken with fireblight  (Erwinia
amylovora). I do not want any new infections next year, so I am planning to
use antibiotics during the springtime.

I am not asking for any recommendations, but I have some purely theoretical
questions.

- Streptomycin resistance has been reported in Sacramento county. I do not
  think that I have any resistant bacteria yet, but I want to prevent them
  from developing. Would resistance be less likely to develop if I were to
  apply both streptomycin and terramycin at once?

- Would applying streptomycin to the open wounds on the trees cause it to
  penetrate into the plant's vascular system, where is could affect any Erwinia
  already present?

- Is there any use to burning the blighted prunings to reduce the amount of
  Erwinia in the local environment? I suspect that there is already so much
  in the soil that taking the prunings out of the orchard would do little
  good.

--
Henry House