[vox] Linux No. 2?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Aug 5 11:34:48 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 08:37:40AM -0700, Don Werve wrote:
> I'll just be pleased when I can buy a laptop that is (a) durable[1], (b)
> works flawlessly with Debian, and (b) has three mouse buttons.

Not sure about "(a)" or your first "(b)" item, but there's this:

  HP Releases Linux-Based Notebook
  http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/03/2351243&mode=nocomment

    "As the article says, 'In a sign the Linux operating system may be
    gaining traction beyond server and other back-room systems, HP said
    Tuesday it will be the first major PC maker to ship a business
    notebook computer pre-installed' with Linux."...

It's a start!

Oh, and also, come to the next LUGOD :^)

  Linux on Laptops - Adventures in mobile Linux computing
  Chander Kant, LinuxCertified, Inc.
  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/

    ..."This presentation will discuss the current state of support
    for Linux on the laptops. We will discuss the challenges - what works,
    what can be made to work, and what does not work. We will consider
    pros and cons of various technologies - hardware, kernels,
    distributions etc., in making of a productive Linux laptop."...

;^)

-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com            "Avoid missing ball for high score"
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/