[vox] Linux beginner help

Ken Herron kherron+lugod at fmailbox.com
Tue Aug 3 22:10:58 PDT 2004

--On Tuesday, August 03, 2004 09:50:01 PM -0700 Lili Sun
<gvansun at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I am working in Biology field, and I do not know Linux at all, but I
> really want to learn it and do some programming in bioinformatics
> field.  I realized that there are so many Linux books for beginners and
> distribution versions available in the market.  Could anyone suggest a
> book and Linux version good for beginners?  Thanks a lot in advance!

By coincidence, there was a book review posted to slashdot.org today that
you might find interesting. See
<http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/04/07/31/1836236.shtml>. Apparently, the
book comes with a copy of Knoppix (a version of linux that boots and runs
from a CD-ROM), and uses that to introduce the reader to linux in
general. You may find some of the followup comments useful, as well.

--
Ken Herron