[vox] Something like GNUWinII, but for Macs?

Dave Margolis vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:30:48 -0700

Bill Kendrick wrote:

>Are there and Open Source software complilations (NOT bootable Linux distros!)
>for Macs?
>
>e.g., OpenOffice.org, The Gimp, Mozilla, stuff like that...?

These guy make a couple of CDs similar to what you're describing:
http://www.bsdmall.com/darwin.html
However, fink (apt port for OS X) sort of makes this sort of CD silly,
unless you're using dialup

As far as Mac users go, it might be nice to make them aware that they
are ALREADY using a lot of open source software.   With the excpetion of
Aqua (the default windowing system/window manager) and some of the
applications (iMovie, the DVD player, and so on), everything else IS
open source.  OS 10.3 is FreeBSD 5.1 loaded up with a bunch of standard
GNU tools.  Then they slap their windowing system on top of that and a
bunch of apps and utilities.  Their fancy print setup utility is just a
front-end to cups, their  "connect to server" dialog is a friendly
frontend to Samba, NFS, WebDAV etc..

>I think having a small set of this to give out at WEF would be good.
>

>If noone knows of any, would someone be willing to do the footwork to
>put together an ISO that volunteers could burn?  (I think 50qty would probably
>be enough)

I'd be happy to do this, but there are some problems.  X11 is required
for a lot of stuff, and you have to install that from the mysterious 3rd
OS X cd (the "developer tools") which most Mac users have never taken
out of the wrapper.  This is not required for Mozilla, but would be for
OOo or the Gimp.  You'd have to provide some kind of documentation.  Any
thoughts on how best to do this?