[vox] Connecting to a remote Oracle database

Richard Crawford vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 07:19:56 -0700 (PDT)

Ryan said:
> On Thursday 08 April 2004 06:06 pm, Richard Crawford
> rscrawford-at-mossroot.com |lugod| wrote:
>> On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 13:58, MB wrote:
>> > Richard,
>> >
>> > Oracle normally runs on port 1521, so you will need to open port
>> 1521 on the oracle server ONLY to your home ip address.
>> >
>> > That should get you enough access.  If you would rather encrypt the
>> channel, you can create a SSH tunnel having only port 22 open on the
>> oracle server something like:
>> >
>> > ssh -l Myusername -L 1521:oracle.business.com:1521
>> oracle.business.com
>>
>> Thanks, Mark.
>>
>> I tried connecting to the remote database from home, but TOra could
>> not find an environment variable called ORACLE_HOME.
>
> On a system at work we run an oracle client on, ORACLE_HOME is set to
> $HOME/OraHome1
>
> Do you have an OraHome1 directory on your system?
>
> Also, I have to use `export ORACLE_HOME=$HOME/OraHome1` to make it work.

Er... I have no Oracle software installed on my computer at home, other
than TOra.  I was just hoping to connect to the remote database, using
TOra as a thin client.  Do I need more than that?

Richard, feeling stupid...

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)