[vox] Let's start our own internet.

Ryan Castellucci vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 02:35:02 -0700

(I apoligize in advance, this will end up a somewhat disorganized braindu=
mp)

So, I got this idea this evening...

Let's run point-to-point connections to one another is some sort of organ=
ized
fashion, and make out LANs routable between each other. It would be like =
our
own private internet. We start assigning people networks off a 'reserved =
for
private use' block such as 10.0.0.0/24 and set up tunnels (or wireless li=
nks,
or point to point T1,s whatever people want, really) Then we start runnin=
our own DNS servers (with our own TLD), whois, etc.

Once we've got some infrastructure in place, participants can make resour=
ces
such as mail, ftp, http, irc, jabber, or whatever available to others on =
the
network.

I think that would be a great way for us to get some experience running a
large scale network.

I'm thinking what would be required of nodes to make stuff work would con=
sist=20
of at least the
following...

* Some sort of *nix box.
* Tunneling software (OpenVPN, vtund, cipe, IPSEC, pptp, etc)
* A routing daemon (I suggest we run OSPF or BGP, OSPF is
probably going to be easier)

A static IP sho

Anyone joining the network would have to renumber thier LAN or do somethi=
ng
clever with packet filtering... (the iptables NETMAP target would work, b=
ut
you have to patch the kernel and iptables)

Not really required to make things work, but nice:

* A DNS server (to serve PTR records for your address space, and talk to =
root
DNS servers for a private TLD)

So, anyone interested?

- --=20
On pgp.mit.edu, import with `gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 72177=
BC7`