[vox] Content Sharing becomes Bandwidth Theft

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 18:30:24 -0800 (PST)

Steps:

   1. They see an image on your website they like.
   2. They link to it as their avatar.
   3. Someone tries to see their avatar, but sees "do not steal my
      bandwidth" image instead.
   4. Your bandwidth is still stolen.

But I'm sure they test their avatar when they first make it, right?
They'll see that the avatar doesn't work then link to someone else's,
right?  Let's look at it from that perspective:

   1. They see an image on your website they like.
   2. They link to it as their avatar.
   2a. They test the avatar.  They see the cached image.  They think
      it works!  It's a keeper.
   3. Someone tries to see their avatar, but sees "do not steal my
      bandwidth" image instead.
   4. Your bandwidth is still stolen.

But wait... won't the avatar viewers report the broken image to the
bandwidth stealer?  Let's view it from that light:

   1. They see an image on your website they like.
   2. They link to it as their avatar.
   2a. They test the avatar.  They see the cached image.  They think
      it works!  It's a keeper.
   3. Someone tries to see their avatar, but sees "do not steal my
      bandwidth" image instead.
   3a. They don't care.  They don't say anything.
   4. Your bandwidth is still stolen.

Okay, so maybe that's not a good idea.  Let's try just blocking bad
referers altogether:

   1. They see an image on your website they like.
   2. They link to it as their avatar.
   2a. They test the avatar.  They see the cached image.  They think
      it works!  It's a keeper.
   3. Someone tries to see their avatar, but see a broken image
      because your server rejects bad referers.
   4a. Your bandwidth is safe[r]!

If you just wanna play some pranks on the bandwidth stealers, go ahead
with the "do not steal my bandwidth" image, but to really protect your
bandwidth it'd be better to just reject bad referers altogether.

-Mark