[vox] suggestions for webcam

Rod Roark vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:34:09 -0700

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 02:53 pm, Katie wrote:
> I'd like to set up a webcam so I can communicate with my family which has
> scattered across the US, but I don't know how compatible they are with
> linux.  I run Mandrake 9.0.  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions
> for webcams that they know work with linux.

I recently set up a webcam for my wife's new home day care
business, using a Logitech Quick Cam Express.  This produces
320x280 color, which for us is a reasonable compromise
between resolution and bandwidth requirements.

This is a Video4Linux device.  I use the webcam utility from
xawtv to repeatedly upload images to the web server, and a
web page with some JavaScript to refresh the displayed image
every 10 seconds or so.  That works nicely, no flickering.

BTW anyone commuting to SV and looking for child care?  :-)

-- Rod